Saturday, April 28, 2012

Average Day?


Although I’ve written of our average day in the village, there really is rarely an average day. By that, I mean, you’d think that living in a Thai-Lao village would be boring and sleepy; that every day would be pretty much the same thing, but that has not been my experience. In fact, every day I need to be ready and flexible for The Unexpecteds.

Let me break for a sec to say one thing about my usage of the term “Thai-Lao”. Our villagers would actually take some offense at being classified as such, as they consider themselves 100% Thai People (Kon Thai) and any inference that might be interpreted as their being less than 100% would be – if not a slight, certainly bad manners. All the people in the Isaan I have met are very patriotic and pledge their allegiance to their country and especially to their King Bhumibol Adulyadej, whose picture is displayed in every home and business throughout the land.



That said, I still feel the term “Thai-Lao” best describes the people of the Isaan, given their language and cultural duality.

So, what kinds of things might come up to change Thip’s and my average day in our Thai-Lao village? Here’s a short list from my first month:


… Some explanations to follow…


No comments: