Saturday, May 11, 2013

Homesick


When my one-year Thai visa expired, I left the country and returned back to “The States,” during February and March of 2013, to visit my side of our family in the United States.

I’ve written about how all expats experience loneliness in their adopted lands at one time or another; often or seldom. The reason I returned to the USA was not so much loneliness or a feeling of “missing” family as it was a condition of my visa to leave Thailand by its expiration. I didn’t have to go back to the US to re-apply for another one-year visa. I could have gone to a neighboring country and done that there. But, I’d already planned that upon my first visa’s expiration, I would use that as a “good excuse” to visit family and friends in California and Florida.

Once back in the United States with my Gault-Williams, Gault and Williams families and some members of their extended families (even my first wife and her husband!), I realized how much I had missed them all!



Where is “home” for the expatriot? Is it in his/her adopted country or is it back where s/he came from? Different expats have different opinions on this oft talked about question (amongst expats). Most, I think, are like me. Your home is where you are. What’s the idiom? “Home is where you hang your hat.” In my case, it’s a baseball cap my son Senyo gave me, from Kaua‘i. or the palm cowboy hat I brought back with me to Thailand.


1 comment:

Kevin said...

That's what I found different about you, Malcolm. You still have strong roots back home. Not all expats do. And others have chosen to cut them. So while it is true that wherever you lay your hat is your home, you are no rolling stone. And some roots are pretty stubborn when you try and pull them up - in the stump of an Isaan tree or when those roots tug at you from 8,000 miles away. Roots are always good and should be treated well so the tree can continue to grow. Cheers.