Monday, August 19, 2013

Lao Trip 4.5 - Falang City

My second full day in Luang Phrabang was similar to the first. I walked the Old Town and as far as was leisurely; no hiking. I walked each and every street, side street and pathway, talking with locals whenever I could.



I passed many temples along the way, including Wat Xieng Thong, the town’s most famous temple and actually not very far from the guest house where I was staying.

Here’s some video of Wat Xieng Thong, shot by Richard Randall in late 2011 or early 2012, during a time of temple renovation: http://youtu.be/1K3rRNcJS1s



The temple is located very near the confluence of the Mekong and the Nam Khan rivers, where, according to myth, the original town began:


I ate off the street – that is, I bought food from street vendors, staying away from restaurants that were three times as expensive. I did continue to visit Mekong side restaurants in the period between lunch and dinner, when they were generally empty or near-empty. The timing was good for great views of the great river, a beer or two, and usually some conversation with a waiter or waitress off from school for the summer.

Although tempted to buy stuff, I was content to just walk the night market again, seeing if I missed anything the night before:


No comments: