Monday, July 7, 2014

Favorite Time of Year

At the end of my first year retired in Northeastern Thailand (2012), I decided my favorite time of year was after Ohpensa (the end of Buddhist lent or Vassa) and the rice harvest. I like this time of year because of the cooling temperatures and the end of the Monsoon Season.

Now that I’ve completed my second year and working on my third (2014), however, I’ve changed my mind. My most favorite time in the Isaan is the very short springtime (Feb-Mar) and on into the beginning of summer (Apr-May), before the rains really get going. Even though these later two months are the hottest months of the year, it is not the heat that bothers me.

It’s the nyoong.

Yeah, you’ve read me complaining about mosquitoes before and it is certainly true that these insects are my enemies – I think my only ones, although they are formidable.


The nice thing about February thru May is that it is so dry, there are very few areas of standing water for the nyoong to breed in. The period of rapid heating-up (Feb-Mar) and the hottest months of the year (Apr-May) are virtually mosquito-free. I love it!

Here’s some shots of our downstairs living room:


Looking inside from the front doorway: our seldom used dining table (because we’re outside most all the time); book shelf/cupboard and closet in the background, and the doorway to the kitchen beyond that.



Panning left from the doorway: Our seldom-used bamboo bed (we sleep upstairs) Thip got to take care of her mother. Family likes to have Khun Mae stay at the family house, so she is rarely here and never overnight. Also visible: windows and doors to bathroom and closet/laundry room.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading your posts. I live in Wisconsin and am a magnet for mosquitoes. We are inundated with them this year with all the rain. I am always amazed when I see houses without window screens. Where can you go to get away from the pests?

Dave from WI

Malcolm Gault-Williams said...

Thanks for reading about my life in the Isaan, Dave. I know my family and some friends read it, but don't have much contact with other viewers, so this is kinda neat... Strategies I employ (and I use ALL of them - this is, after all, a war to win!) are listed here: http://the-isaan.blogspot.com/2013/10/struggle-against-nyoong.html

Anonymous said...

As I said, I enjoy them because they are written like an "average joe" exploring the world around him. I am also married to a girl from Issan (Udon Thani). I met her over here on the states and have only visited Thailand once. I enjoyed it immensely and will be returning again next year. I like the insight you provide into day to day life in the village.

Dave

Malcolm Gault-Williams said...

Some guys do a far better job than me, with lotsa pictures. Checkout some of the links in the side panel. Thanks for your appreciation, Dave!