Thursday, December 25, 2014

Lao Trip 8.6b - Freelancers

Toward sundown, I headed west along the river road, back to the Bor Pen Nyang. This time, there were two freelancers present. After a couple of games of pool and a pitcher of draft Beer Lao, they made some passes at me. I kept my distance, not because I’m a “gentleman” or a prude, they just didn’t look my type and I wasn’t out for anything like that, anyway. I did, however, enjoy watching them try to work the room.

I again availed myself of the draft Beer Lao, watched the night market set up, and viewed and listened to the aerobic exercisers at sun down. It was a little bit of a repeat of last night, but had I made a move on the girls, the night would have taken a whole other direction.


After finishing my beer, I “ran the gauntlet” of riverside vendors, again, with the same empty results as last night.


When I got back in the vicinity of my hotel, I ran across some “ladies of the night” on motorcycle. Now, that wasn’t something I had been expecting. Again, they weren’t my type, so I didn’t waste their time, but smiled and laughed a little, waving them goodbye.

Next day, I left Lao country and headed home via Nong Khai and Udon Thani. In Udon Thani, I stopped in at “Fuzzy Ken’s” to buy some used books and grab a beer. I met Mr. Fuzzy himself. Ken was very polite and seems like a good guy.

While I was having my Beer Chang, some European falangs at a table not far away were in heated discussion about the Scottish independence vote. I was again reminded of how opinionated people can be; often setting on their position and not budging.

Can’t beat the location of Fuzzy Ken’s. It’s right across the street from Centrun and around the corner from the “inside” bus station.


2 comments:

Christian Layow said...

I think you made the right decision with the freelancers Malcolm. I made a different decision last October in Mexico. Luckily I didn't have the "precautionary equipment" to complete the results of my decision and had to cut out before anything really happened. And I'm thankful for that. It is mostly best to watch the circus from the sidelines. You have more years of wisdom than I, so you probably weren't too tempted.

I enjoy your Graham Greene-like meanderings through Indochina. I love the photos, but would like to read of the scenes and places you are discovering, more deeply described through your prose in moving time. That is, if you have the time to write it.
Best,
Christian

Malcolm Gault-Williams said...

Thank You, Christian ~ So good to know you're riding along (virtually) with me on this. I know what you mean. "Did this, did that" gets old after a while. More detail makes it meaningful. Will move more in that direction, like I do with LEGENDARY SURFERS. Thank you for the gentle nudge!