Saturday, June 20, 2015

Bann Nah 21 - Outside Walls

Shera imitation wood planks are fibre cement composites of natural fibres, bonded in a silicate structure. The sidings are autoclaved wood-grain.

I discovered – quite by chance – that there are packs of the autoclaved wood-grain patterns that, if you have all the packs in your color/style, you can apply so that the simulated grain seems to transition from one plank to another, without a break in the design. I don’t think most builders in the Isaan know this. I tried to find special markings for each wrapped pack of planks, designating them, but could not find anything. Of course, I can’t read Thai, so that is probably why. But, I was looking for numbers more than anything, which would have been the easiest way to designate one type of pack from another.

The only reason I found out about this was because, after I explicity showed our workers how it was not good to put the same packet design next to each other, or ontop or below each other (because it would be too repetitive), they inadvertently put two planks close together that were from two different packs, which which were designed to go with each other perfectly.


The standard application, of course, was to apply the pieces randomly and this is how our workers did it.


Eastside completely finished, 'cept for the windows


If I had had the time and inclination and it was that important to me, I would have sat with them for the two weeks they took to put up the outside walls, but random was OK for me and easiest for them.


No comments: