Friday, September 25, 2015

Bann Nah 30 - Windows!

I’ve never seen so many people so happy about so much rain. I have to admit, so was I. Our Thai/Lao family’s bounty of rice for the year depended on it, so everyone wanted the rain to fall.


During the one-month period it rained every day, a portion of the Bann Nah porch floor buckled – just as I had predicted it would. As I mentioned in the previous post, I wasn’t happy with our workers’ failure to address the on-going rain damage. But, we left them free to organize their work, so we bore some of the responsibility, too.

On top of this, I should have never let myself be talked into a tongue and groove porch floor. But, my wife had wanted it and our workers had assured me it would be fine and look better. My feeling now is that – maybe not this year, but possibly in 2016 or 2017, I will need to have the tongues and grooves of the porch floor sawed out, so that we don’t have an on-going problem with the floor boards every Monsoon Season. After all, this was a very dry rainy season. Again, I take responsibility for the buckling, as I should have stuck to the original design.

To forestall the same kind of damage happening to the inside room floor, Lott and Naht finally installed our windows: three standard sliders and 3 small.


No comments: