Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Afternoons, 2016

How I spend my afternoons depends on the weather more than anything. The“Rainy Season” (East Asian Monsoon Season) lasts from June thru October. During this time, when it’s raining, I tend to stick close to our village home. I might log extra time on the computer because temperatures are cooler and safer to run the machine; read, hand write or putz around the house. Sometimes I take advantage of the rain water and wash my motorcycle and if Thip’s around, I’ll do hers, too.


But, most afternoons are clear or cloudy and that’s when I do my hard labor – not that it’s all that hard. Most of what I do is “grounds keeping” both at our village house and at our farm house (Bann Nah). This amounts to cutting grasses and brush, trimming trees, burning old wood, digging and moving dirt, and watering trees and plants. These past several years I’ve been helping out at the construction site, also; doing mostly clean-up.

I stop work somewhere between four and five, having put in about four or five hours. I like to eat before sundown so that my food fully digests before going to bed. Thip either fixes me my early dinner or buys something for me. She may or may not eat with me, depending on what she’s doing. She has gotten more and more involved in helping around the temple and chedi construction site, so I often do not see her for several hours-long stretches of time.



Afternoon going into evening, often I’ll follow dinner up by treating our workers to some after-work bia (beer), at Bann Nah.

No comments: