Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Lao Trip 14.6 - Montezuma's Revenge

In North America it is often referred to as “Montezuma’s Revenge.” With all the travelling I do into less than sanitary locations, you’d think it would have struck me sooner and more often. In the five years I have lived in the Thai countryside and travelled over a dozen times to Lao, “traveller’s diarrhea” has not hit me -- until today.



In a way, it couldn’t have come at a better time. My accommodations at Souksanh Guesthouse were comfortable and I was not pressed for time to go anywhere or be anywhere, except for the falls. I had wanted to go to Tat Somphamit (Li Phi Falls) and possibly Khon Phapheng Falls, but these will have to wait for another time.

The diarrhea hit me upon waking. It was so strong I first worried it might be something worse. It basically put me away for rest of the day and overnight. I didn’t start to feel presentable until late afternoon, but really wasn’t thru it until the next morning. 

I suspect unclean and under-cooked pork was the culprit. If that was what it was, then I was partly to blame. The restaurant where I ate did not have ping gai (BBQ chicken) and asked if pork could be substituted. I said “OK” figuring meat off the grill would be alright. The pork I ate either wasn’t bar-b-qued and/or was under-cooked.



No comments: