Monday, October 24, 2016

Rainy Season Ending

The death of the King of Thailand and end of construction at Bann Nah coincided with the winding down of the rainy season.


A week or so after the party celebrating the end of Phase 1 of the Bann Nah project, Thip and I were over at the family farm, celebrating the birthday of her oldest brother Awt. Rolling thunder was going off in the far distance. It’s the sound of lightning that occurs between clouds and generally does not strike the earth. Thip’s brother Sawt, the lineman supervisor, commented that the Monsoon Season was saying goodbye, as it prepared to move to The South before ceasing altogether.

During my first half decade retired in the Isaan, I’ve tried to learn how to read the weather. I did not learn meteorology very well in school and feel not enough time was spent on the subject, both by me and the school system. Throughout my life, I’ve just taken it for granted and not thought much about it until now. I think I’ve learned a bit and am aided by my capabilities with technology, which is rarely used by farmers here -- if you discount radio. Weather plays such a huge role in the life of a farmer -- which I am, I guess, in the gentlemanly way.

One of the major things I’ve discovered about the East Asian Monsoon Season as it relates to Northeastern Thailand is that when it starts, rain storms come primarily from the west (Adaman Sea). Toward the end of the rainy season, rain storms come mostly the east (generated in the South China Sea).

The early part of the Thai/Lao Rainy Season is marked by dramatic thunder storms, sometimes just squalls, and sometimes whole days when it will do nothing but rain. The later part of the rainy season here is marked by sporadic rain storms that keep it wet enough to keep you from burning brush, but dry enough to think the season may have passed.


No comments: