Monday, March 27, 2017

Cambodia Trip 2.8 - Homeward Bound

On the morning of my departure from Siem Reap and Cambodia, Bunleng and I had a farewell breakfast and talked about possible plans for next visit.



My friend dropped me at the bus for O Smach; the one we had arranged with the spirited Gahnya, just days before. As previously noted, this is a new service, so it was understandable that there was only one other passenger other than myself.

This second trip to Cambodia, I did not follow the pattern of the first. This time, I just retraced my steps back to Surin, Thailand. There, I walked over to The Falang Connection, had a Beer Chang and asked some Falangs with touring motorcycles if they knew of a good, inexpensive place to stay. I had done this once before, on my first trip to Surin, and ended-up in a dump. This time, I made sure my question dismissed the really cheap places. The bikers pointed me to the Majestic Twin, which I had previously noted on Internet searches when I was planning the trip, so the recommendation made sense.

The Majestic Twin was slightly more pricey than what I’m used to, but I think I’m just gravitating toward that mid-range because I’m tired of roughing it. Anyway, “I’m worth it,” as the expression goes. The Majestic Twin was certainly clean and comfortable. I recommend it.

After getting the room and showering, I took a walk around, targeting the nightlife area. As the sun dropped, I found myself in a new Falang bar called Monkey House, owned and operated by expat Lee who is a very likable guy and a great host. I partook of the beer and the food ordered in. The Monkey House is right across the street from the big disco place that khon Thai from miles around flock to. I left before the show really got good (“eye candy” going in and out and hanging out, outside). On the walk back, I passed the soapies place and, man, were there some beautiful girls lined up there.

Next morning, I left the Majestic Twin in the dark in order to catch the first bus to Khon Kaen. From Khon Kaen I bussed it to Nong Bua Lamphu and then took a moto to our village house. There, I showered and headed out to our country house. I was home by nightfall.





No comments: