Wednesday, July 12, 2017

"Buffy"

The last in a series of writings that my wife did when she was studying English in Santa Barbara, California, during the first half of the new millennium:



Buffy
By Thiphawan Gault-Williams


Buffy was my dog's name. She was born in 1996 and she was an American Eskimo. She had a litter of puppies in 1998, while staying in the Santa Barbara Humane Society in Goleta.

In June 1998 Buffy joined my husband's family until I came to the USA in 2000. She and I became fast friends and she was my first new friend in the USA. She would become my best friend. In fact, more than anyone Buffy spent most of her life with me.



Buffy liked to eat watermelon and I sometimes feed her with food. For example, I fed her barbecued beef and chicken soup. I mixed food or soup with her food. She was so happy on that day and ate more than what she was [used to]. Buffy liked to follow me when I moved around the house. When I was in the kitchen I usually dropped food on the floor for her.

Buffy was always the first to greet people when they visited. She was always happy to see people and always wanted people's attention. When she was happy or excited she always moved her tail around, up and down, or side to side. She made a little noise, "E e" to let people know that she was happy to see them and needed some attention.

When I came back home and opened the door Buffy was always waiting for me and would run around me like she was happy to see me. If I didn't give attention to her, she always made some noise like "E e" to let me know she was around me and needed attention from me too.


Malcolm's son Senyo showing Buffy lots of attention, 
with cousin Barry and Joyce along.


Buffy loved to run the length of the parking lot of my condominium. My husband Malcolm had to take this out of her routine in the last years of her life because she could not see well. She was beginning to run into things and could have easily clipped the side of a building going at high speed!

She really made me laugh for all the little things that she would do that were just so innocent. If she knew I was mad at her she would look away from me and then after a while she would start to look at me again. If I said, "No", or continued in the same tone of voice, she would look away again.

Buffy was so sweet and sensitive. When I was sick she would sit by me as if to take care of me. Sometimes she would lick my hands and stay near me.




A couple of months before she passed away she always kept walking and walking like she was meditating. She did exactly the same thing that I did when I would do walking meditation. She kept walking day and night and when she fell down she just slept. When she had energy then she got up and started walking again. I had never seen an animal walk like that before in my life, just my dog did that.

I was so proud of her, no matter whether she understood when I listened to the monks on CD or no matter is she knew about meditation or not. I still hope her life will go to heaven.


On October 26, 2009 it was the last day of her life. I hadn't said goodbye to her on that day and I knew she was sick and had a little pain in her leg. She couldn't get up and stand up straight. I went to school in the morning and I didn't know that was the last morning for her. When I came back from school in the afternoon she had already passed away. Only my husband Malcolm was with her and had said good-bye to her without me. It was hard for me to let her go with no returns.


I just thank you Buffy for making my life so much richer. We'll always remember you and love you! Thank you, my best friend.


No comments: